Digitage's "ss2ms" tool allows users of financial instrument charting tools that use the MetaStock data format (including TradeGuider and AmiBroker) to use the data provided by ShareScope.
The basic method of use is as follows..
- Using the ShareScope program.
- Download the latest data into ShareScope
- Export details of the instruments in a ShareScope portfolio (list of instruments) into a table file
- Export the quotes for the instruments in the portfolio into the same directory as the table file
- Using the SS2MS program.
- Run the conversion process to read the ShareScope files exported above and write the data to a different folder in MetaStock format.
- Using your charting software.
- Load the MetaStock files.
This page describes the details of these steps and provides a link from which you can download the SS2MS program.
Install Java (if not already installed)
The SS2MS program is a Java/Swing application and requires the Java language run time environment to be installed before it can be used. Many modern "Windows" machines already have this in place, but if yours doesn't you'll need to obtain and install it. One easy way to find the required download and instructions for installing is to search for the phrase "download java" in google.
You'll need Java version 6 or later.
Download and install SS2MS
Once Java has been installed, you can download and install the SS2MS program. The process is as follows..
- Create an new empty directory called "ss2ms" (or any other name you wish) in some easy to find location (say: On the desktop or in "My Documents").
- Download the ss2ms-1.0.jar file from this link and copy it into the new directory just created.
- Double-click on the ssms-1.0.jar file and verify that the terms and conditions window is displayed as a result. If it does not, this is almost certainly an indication that an appropriate java environment is not installed properly.
- Read the terms and conditions that are displayed and indicate your agreement to them (if you do agree) by clicking on the "Agree" button. If you don't agree, click on "Disagree" and then delete the software.
- Note: A second file called "ss2ms-config.txt" wil be created in the directory by the above process. This is normal, and you should not delete the file.
Obtaining and installing an SS2MS license
You can use the ss2ms program without a license (provided that you agree to the terms and conditions), but the tool will be limited to handling a maximum of 10 instruments at a time. This allows you to test that the program meets your needs before you purchase a license key that allows you to process up to 250 instruments.
Currently, the license key issuing process is not automated - this will come in due course. In the mean time, to obtain a license key, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org giving your name and indicating that you are asking for an ss2ms-1.0 license. Once I get your mail (please be patient) I will mail you back the details of how to make the £50.00 payment via PayPal. Once your payment has been confirmed I will generate and send you a key via email. You should then enter the email address you used to request the key and the key itself into the fields in the "License" tab of the ss2ms application. You should enter these exactly as shown in the email you receive. This will result in the message "License is valid" appearing in green, like this...
Close the program by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner.
Exporting EOD data from ShareScope
The first step of the conversion process is to export the data from ShareScope like this..
- Create a folder to place the export data in (only needed the first time you use the technique).
- I tend to use C:\ShareScope\export
- You can use any name you like.
- It is best to create a new one specially for this purpose the first time you run through this process.
- You wont need to create a new folder every time; you can reuse the same folder repeatedly.
- Start the ShareScope program and download the latest data.
- Either chose a shares list or create your own portfolio of shares that you want to export. The list or portfolio must have no more than 250 shares in it (I hope to lift this limit in a future release).
- Make the chosen list or portfolio "current" by clicking on it's button in the toolbar. For example: select the "FTSE 100" list.
- Chose a table layout that includes at least columns for the EPIC name and the share Name (these are the only two columns the converter uses). You can chose the table layout using the "List tables" menu or the tool bar at the bottom of the window.
- Now export the list details using..
- "File" menu
- "Export" option
- "Export list table" sub option.
- In the file selector that pops up, select the directory you want to put the data in (created earlier in this process) and create a file called "table.exp" in that folder.
- Select "Save"
- Export the share quote data using..
- "File" menu
- "Export" option
- "Export prices for shares in list" sub option
- In the dialog that pops up, use the "Browse" button to select the same directory as you placed the "table.exp" file in earlier.
- Confirm that the settings match this (with the possible exception of the export directory path)...
- Then click the "Options" button and carefully confirm that all the settings match this..
- Then click "OK" to close the options window
- Click "Ok" to start the export process.
- When the export process is complete, you can close the ShareScope program.
Running the SS2MS program
- Before you run the SS2MS program for the first time you must create a new empty directory for the MetaStock files to be created in.
- Now run SS2MS by double-clicking on the SS2MS-1.0.jar file.
- Choose the input and output directories by clicking on the "Directories and Files" tab. You will typically only need to do this the first time you use the software because your choices will be remembered.
- Click on the arrow to the right of the "Import ShareScope .PRN files from" box and select the directory you placed the "table.exp" and data files in earlier.
- Click on the arrow to the right of the "Import instrument details from" box and select the "table.exp" file you exported from ShareScope (it should be in the same directory as you selected above).
- Click on the arrow to the right of the "Export MetaStock files to" box and select the directory you created earlier in THIS section.
- For your first run, make sure the fields in the "Options" tab have their default values, namely:
- Merge Adjacent bars? Not ticked
- Multiply volume by: 1.0
- First date: leave blank
- Last date: leave blank
- Now select the "Main" tab and click the "Start" button to begin the conversion process.
- If there are any errors in the configuration parameters you have specified, the program will warn you - and you should correct the errors indicated before trying again.
- When the conversion is complete, the word "FINISHED" will appear in red.
- You can now close the program by clicking on the "X" at the top right of the window.
Importing into your charting software
You now have a directory of MetaStock files, ready to import into your charting software, such as TradeGuider or AmiBroker.